KITCHENER, Ont. – The East District of Lutheran Church–Canada has expressed its support for a Central District resolution calling for the restructuring of Synod.
A resolution calling for the restructuring of synod did not arrive in time to be considered by the East District at convention. However, the East District’s Board of Directors met together in advance of convention and passed a motion to express its support of the resolution adopted by the Central District at its April convention in Saskatoon (Resolution 2015-05-03 “To request the Commission on Constitutional Matters & Structure to Propose Changes to LCC Structure.”)
The news of the East District BOD’s motion was communicated to East District delegates during convention on May 4. The same day, the East District convention adopted an identical motion of support for the Central District resolution.
Over May 5-6, the East District convention continued elections for district boards and committees, following the election of the President and Vice Presidents on May 4. Elected as Directors at Large for the BOD were Rev. Don Schieman, Robert Klages, David Faerber, Kent Schappert, and Reg Tiegs. Rev. Richard Juritsch and Daneil Putzman were elected to serve on the District Nominations Committee. Rev. Bill Stanfel and Reg Tiegs were elected to serve on the Committee for Convention Nominations (Synod).
Circuit counsellors for the coming triennium were elected as follows: Rev. Kevin Walrath (Hamilton Circuit), Rev. Siem Manna (London Circuit), Rev. John Trembulak III (Stratford Circuit), Rev. Brian Dunlop (Hanover Circuit), Rev. Richard Orlowski (Kitchener Circuit), Rev. David Smilek (Ottawa Circuit), Rev. Jack Hetzel (Toronto Circuit), Rev. Gilvan de Azevedo (Windsor Circuit), and Rev. Kurt Lantz (Niagara Circuit).
During convention, the East District passed a number of resolutions. They were:
- 15-1-01 Amend bylaw 2014 and regulations 2014 regarding 1) The corporate seal, 2) Mission and ministry program, 3) Convention minutes, 4) District committee on constitutions and membership
- 15-1-02 Amend Bylaw 2014 and REgulations 2014 to Use More Consistent Terminology Relating to Rostered Workers
- 15-1-03 Support the Lutheran Historical Institute as the Official Archives of Lutheran Church–Canada
- 15-1-04 Amend Regulations 2014 Regarding Frequency of Circuit Forums
- 15-1-05 Amend Regulations 2014 Regarding Eligibility to Be a Director
- 15-1-06 To take no action on Overture 15-1-08
- 15-1-07 Amend Regulations 2014 Regarding the Method of Appointing the LCC East District Representative on the Lutherwood Board of Directors
- 15-2-01/c To Communicate Our Position on Creation
- 15-2-02 That Congregations Utilize Lutheran Hour Ministries (LHM) Resources for Outreach
Additional information on the East District Convention is available from the district’s website here.